Lancaster Pennsylvania Car Accident Lawyer
Call or text me at 717-996-4411
You probably do not think about whether you will ever need a Lancaster Car Accident Lawyer, but operating a car in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, or anywhere for that matter, is serious business. It is estimated that over 1.2 million people die each year in motor vehicle accidents around the world. In the United States, there are approximately 30,000 to 40,000 traffic accident fatalities each year. For Pennsylvania, about 80,000 individuals are injured in traffic accidents each year including approximately 1,100 fatalities. If you or a loved one have been wrongfully injured or killed in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, call or text me, Joseph Monaco, at 717-996-4411 to speak with a Lancaster County Car Accident Lawyer about your rights.
Lancaster Pennsylvania Car Accident Help
No matter how experienced a driver you are, you cannot avoid the reckless or careless conduct of other motorists. We all observe how frequently other drivers speed or talk on their cell phones or text while driving. Unfortunately, distracted driving is increasing and so is the frequency of traffic accidents as a result. No matter what the cause of the accident may be, it is important to hire an experienced Lancaster Car Accident Lawyer. I have been representing injury victims and their families since 1989 and pride myself on working tirelessly to achieve justice for my clients. If you work toward hiring me by calling or texting 717-996-4411, I will handle your case from beginning to end including the initial paperwork, negotiating with the insurance companies and trying the case before a jury. Insurance Companies are in business to make a profit, not pay you and your family what you deserve.
Lancaster Safe Driving Tips
- Maintain a safe following distance behind the vehicle ahead
- Look for cross traffic when entering an intersection even if you have the green light
- Where comfortable shoes when driving; avoid flip flops
- Make sure your car mat is not interfering with the brake or accelerator
- Adjust the mirrors and seat before starting off
- Do not text or talk on your phone
- Pay attention to road conditions such as ice or wet roads
- Enter the address into the GPS before beginning your drive
- Follow posted speed limits
- Let aggressive drivers go ahead or around you; avoid road rage
- Make sure the vehicle is mechanically sound including proper tire pressures and smooth windshield wipers
- Do not drive while impaired by alcohol or medications
- Look carefully both ways before pulling out into a roadway
- Be careful turning left in front of oncoming traffic
- Make sure you are well rested
Why should I hire a Lancaster Pennsylvania Auto Accident Lawyer?
If you find yourself injured after a Lancaster car, bus, pedestrian or truck accident, contacting a top-rated Lancaster Car Accident Lawyer at 717-996-4411 by phoning or testing will go a long way towards putting together a winning case. I have been a wrongful death and personal injury lawyer for over 30 years following in the footsteps of my father. I can ensure that your Lancaster personal injury or wrongful death claim gets started off on the right track with an early and thorough investigation. I will personally go over the details of your Lancaster accident case with you to determine the proper steps to take to protect your rights and get you the medical care you deserve. Let my office deal with the insurance companies so your stress level is not exacerbated even further. I will be your biggest advocate putting you first when dealing with doctors, claims representatives, expert witnesses and accident investigators.
What are Common Causes of Lancaster Motor Vehicle Accidents?
There are various types of Lancaster, Pennsylvania motor vehicle crashes that can lead to serious bodily injuries or even wrongful death. But no matter how complex your case turns out to be, I have the investigation and trial skills necessary to fight the big insurance companies and corporations. I have successfully handled thousands of cases including the following types of Lancaster, Pennsylvania accidents:
- Rear-end accidents: When the front end of a vehicle collides into the rear end of another vehicle
- Head-on Lancaster collisions: The front ends of two vehicles collide likely leading to serious injuries or wrongful death
- Side-impact crashes (broadsided): This type of crash frequently happens when a driver runs a red traffic light or pulls out from a parking lot
- Distracted driving: Many Lancaster drivers say they do not text and drive but we all see it happening everyday along our roadways
- Driving while intoxicated: This can involve alcohol or drugs and can lead to a claim for punitive damages
- Unsafe roadways: This can be caused by poor road maintenance, defective road design, lack of traffic control devices or the presence of road hazards such as debris, potholes or ice
- Defective vehicles: Defective airbags or a vehicle that does not meet safe crash worthiness standards
- Rollover crashes: These accidents are more frequent with SUVs or trucks because of their high center of gravity. They can be especially dangerous if vehicle occupants are not wearing seatbelts
- Multi-vehicle pileups: If three or more vehicles are involved in a crash, fault can be more difficult to determine. An early investigation is key to placing blame on the correct parties
- Commercial vehicle crashes: Accident cases involving tractor trailers, semi-trucks, moving vans, big rigs, buses or dump trucks etc. are often more complex due to applicable regulation violations and that commercial big rig operators do not like to admit fault for fear of losing their jobs. Big commercial fleet owners also get their legal teams involved early especially if the crash led to a wrongful death in Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- Call or text me at 717-996-4411
What Steps Need to be taken After a Lancaster, Pennsylvania Car Accident?
After a serious Lancaster, Pennsylvania auto, motorcycle, pedestrian, bus or truck accident, you and your family may be feeling overwhelmed by getting pulled in an hundred directions. Unexpected emotional and financial hardships brought on by a Lancaster accident can be a very frustrating experience. Fortunately, you do not have to go through this battle alone. Hire me, Joseph Monaco, and I will handle your case from start to finish. My office will deal with the insurance companies, investigators, medical providers and expert witnesses. We will manage all communications including negotiating with the insurance companies and their staff of insurance defense lawyers. I am fierce in negotiations with those who try to deprive my clients of justice including an award of maximum monetary compensation.
My top notch staff and I will gather your medical records, proof of lost income, photographs and any other crucial evidence to establish fault and build a strong damages claim. I will work hard to identify all applicable sources of compensation including policies of auto or commercial liability insurance. This would include coverages that you paid for under your own Pennsylvania policy of auto insurance such as uninsured, underinsured and medical benefits coverages.
What Laws Govern a Lancaster, Pennsylvania Auto Accident Case?
Pennsylvania is a “comparative fault” jurisdiction, which means that every party who contributed to the happenings of a Lancaster accident will be assessed fault based upon 100%. An injury victim must be 50% or less at fault to recover. Similarly, Any fault between 0% and 50% will reduce the monetary award by that percentage. For example, if the victim is deemed 25% at fault, then his o her award will be reduced by 25%. A $100,000 award would be reduced to a $75,000 recovery. Given such, defendants in a lawsuit and their big insurance companies have a big incentive to argue that the plaintiff (injury victim) was negligent and caused the accident so they can reduce the amount of compensation paid out. That’s why I will aggressively work to level the playing field against the insurance companies’ teams of lawyers.
The defendants in a Lancaster personal injury or wrongful death case will be responsible to pay the award up to their percentage of fault. This is known as the Pennsylvania Fair Share Act. However, there are several exceptions. If a defendant is found 60% or more at fault for the Lancaster motor vehicle accident, then that defendant could be responsible for paying the entire award if the other defendants are unable to pay their fare share. This is a modification of traditional joint and several liability common law.
The Pennsylvania Fair Share Act has the following exceptions as well: (1) Intentional misrepresentation, (2) intentional tort; (3) release or threatened release of a hazardous substance under the Hazardous Sites Cleanup Act; and (4) serving alcohol to a visibly intoxicated patron under Section 497 of the Liquor Code.
What Types of Injuries Can be Caused by a Lancaster, Pennsylvania Car Accident?
Lancaster car accident injuries are frequently serious including wrongful death. When a Lancaster driver is injured, it best not to take the situation too lightly. Bodily injuries often do not manifest themselves into symptoms such as pain until days or even weeks after the motor vehicle accident.
Injuries from a motor vehicle accident can happen anywhere including Lancaster, Pennsylvania. According to the Pennsylvania, Department of Transportation, there were 6,041 crashes in Lancaster County in 2018. This resulted in 45 fatalities and 263 serious injuries, which are now uniformly defined by the US Department of Transportation. Serious injuries include severe lacerations resulting in exposure of underlying tissues/muscle/organs or resulting in significant loss of blood; broken or distorted extremity (arm or leg); crush injuries; suspected skull, chest, or abdominal injury other than bruises or minor lacerations; significant burns (second and third degree burns over 10% or more of the body); unconsciousness when taken from the crash scene and paralysis.
These numbers do not include the most common types of injuries such as whiplash, traumatic brain injury or ligament and tendon tears to the spine, knees, hips, ankles or shoulders. Spinal vertebral discs can also rupture (herniate, bulge). These injury types are due to the physics associated with a rapid acceleration and deceleration of force.
If you are involved in a Lancaster head-on collision, the vehicle will stop suddenly but your body will continue forward before whipping back. The airbag and seatbelt will reduce the distance your body can move during this dynamic, but there will always be enough space for your body to be whipped forward or back resulting in whiplash and other soft tissue injuries. When a vehicle is rear-ended in a Lancaster, Pennsylvania auto accident, the vehicle is pushed forward before your body moves. This is why your head first strikes the seat’s headrest before it is whipped forward. Seatbelts save lives but the rapid acceleration and deceleration of your body often coupled with the slamming action of your body against the inside of the car (headrest, window) can cause serious injuries throughout your body including the head and spine.
Serious Lancaster, Pennsylvania car crash injuries could include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (Concussion)
- Neck and back whiplash
- Spinal cord and vertebrae injuries
- Chest injuries
- Fractures or broken bones and joints
- Knee, hip or shoulder ligament and cartilage tears
- Post traumatic stress disorder
- Musculoskeletal sprains and strains
- Nerve damage including carpal tunnel syndrome & radiculopathy
These types of injuries often result in the need for costly medical care, pain and suffering, emotional distress and lost wages. Many Lancaster auto accident victims require long-term care including physical therapy and rehabilitation. In other words, being an injury victim of a Lancaster car or truck accident can have a long standing or permanent impact on your life. it is important to know that Pennsylvania law provides legal remedies for injury victims including an award of monetary compensation. Call or text me at 717-996-4411 to learn your rights and options following a Lancaster auto or pedestrian accident.
What Types of Symptoms Can Result from Lancaster Motor Vehicle Accident Injuries?
Call or text me at 717-996-4411 for a Free Consultation and the No Recovery, No Fee Guarantee.