A Complete Lawyer Guide to Slip and Falls on Ice or Snow
Slip and falls on ice or snow are common occurrences in the winter. You probably know the feeling. You’re walking outside and step on a patch of ice. You feel your feet slide, so you begin to panic. You put your arms out to regain your balance and hopefully avoid a fall. But, what happens if you do fall? Unfortunately, falling on ice is a scary experience that can lead to injuries.
In this guide, you’ll learn about what to do if you fall on ice and the relevant laws to help you determine if you need a lawyer. You’ll also learn how both pedestrians and property owners can reduce the risk of slip and falls on ice or snow.
Injuries resulting from a slip and fall on a snowy or icy sidewalk can be serious. You may fracture your arm while trying to break your fall or hit your head on the hard ground. Call for medical help if you feel any pain after a fall. Common injuries from a slip and fall on ice or snow include:
Spinal Cord Injuries
Traumatic Brain Injuries
Injuries are expensive to care for, especially if they are severe. Between the medical bills, potential lost wages, and emotional cost of pain and suffering, an injury can change your life. If your slip and fall was caused by negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. It’s important to contact a slip and fall attorney to see if you have a case.
After you slip and fall on ice, you may feel embarrassed. You may want to brush it off and pretend you’re okay, especially if other people saw you fall. But slip and falls can be serious. It’s okay to get help. If you fall on ice, it’s important to do the following:
* Seek medical attention if you are in pain and make sure your injuries are documented.
* Record witnesses. Get the names and contact information of people who saw you fall.
* Report the incident and dangerous condition to the property or business owner.
* Take photos. Since ice and snow can melt quickly, it’s crucial to document the scene of your accident right after it happens.
* Preserve your shoes and clothing as they may serve as evidence later.
* Call a Slip and Fall Lawyer Joseph Monaco to discuss your legal rights. A slip and fall lawyer can explain all applicable laws to you and determine if you have a case.
* It’s essential to remain calm after a slip and fall. You may have a premises liability case, and if you do, it’s vital to think clearly so you can obtain information that will support your case.
New Jersey and Pennsylvania each have their own laws regarding a property owner’s responsibility for a fall on their property. Don’t leave your rights to chance. Contact Joseph Monaco for an experienced slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible. 215-599-6544 in PA and 609-277-3166 in New Jersey.
If you are a pedestrian, try to follow the following suggestions:
* Pay attention to where you are walking and look at the sidewalk ahead of you. Be especially cautious of black ice.
* Take shorter steps.
* Wear appropriate footwear.
* Walk slowly and carefully.
* Use handrails when available.
* Wipe your shoes when you enter a building and watch for slippery floors caused by melted snow or ice.
* Keep your hands free and out of your pockets. You will need to use your arms to regain balance if you feel yourself slip. Avoid carrying shopping bags or other items.
* Be careful when getting in or out of a vehicle. Hold onto the vehicle for balance.
If you are a property owner, try to follow these suggestions:
* Buy a shovel, salt, and other items before a snowstorm.
* If you are not able to shovel snow, hire a contractor or person to do it for you.
* Do a good job shoveling. Don’t leave isolated patches of snow or ice.
* Spread sand, gravel, or salt on walking areas to create more traction for pedestrians.
* Pile snow in a safe area. Make sure the runoff from melting snow will not refreeze on the pavement.
* Inspect your property by doing the following:
* Check that your gutter won’t leak and create a pile of ice.
* Fix uneven or broken sidewalks or stairs so snow doesn’t cover the hazard.
If you or a family member have been injured or killed from a slip and fall accident in Pennsylvania or New Jersey, you need to contact me immediately at 1-855-Joe-Legal (Toll-Free) to protect yourself as well as your family.